Thursday, January 7, 2010

“Where Does Your Delight Reside?”

Scripture: "But his delight is in the law of the LORD, and on his law he meditates day and night." -Psalms 1:2, NIV

There's more to us in this life than work, family, for others, school, and church. In my case, I begin my day at 5:45 am to get ready to come to work, leave the house about 6:10 - 6:15, ride to the Metro station, ride the Metro into work, catch my shuttle, and make it to the office. Once I am in the office, I work a nine hour day and afterwards, get on the shuttle to take me to the Metro station, ride the Metro home, await the arrival of my wife to get me, and then go home. I usually get in around 6:30 and when it is not a night to be at church or a meeting, I have some time before I retire for the evening to bed. Because of this time, I delight myself in playing on the computer, watching ESPN or a good game, spending quality time with my wife, and other things. Many of us have other delights such as playing game systems (Wii, XBox 360, PS3), hanging out with the guys/ladies, and shopping. In the spiritual realm, God is looking for us to delight ourselves in Him. He is looking for us to delight ourselves in the things of Him. Today, through today's main scripture, God wants to show us where our delight should reside.

Our main scripture for today is located in the book of Psalms. Psalms is not one of those books with a single author. It has multiple authors that include King David, Asaph, and Moses. Through God and these authors, Psalms contains 150 chapters and it is broken down into five books. Today's reading falls within Book I of the Psalms, which contains chapters 1 through 41. Within this introductory chapter, the writer talks about how a man is blessed. In the first verse, the writer says to us, "Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked (King James says ungodly), or stand in the way of sinners, or sit in the seat of mockers". Let this initial verse serve as a verse of self-inventory. If you do not hang around and talk with wicked people, block sinner's way or sit around people who mock others, then in the eyes of God, you are considered blessed! Within the next verse, our main scripture, God discusses where a blessed man/woman's delight should reside.

The text starts by saying, "But his delight is in the law of the LORD". The law of the Lord, of course, is what we consider to be our Word, our Sword, our Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth, the Bible! It is great to delight yourself in a good game on TV or on the Wii, but you would receive greater delight if it was in the Word! The pains we suffer and hurt from, we can find solace in God's Word! The answers we need to everyday life can be found in God's Word! The answers we need to deal with our struggling finances can be found in God's Word! The answers we crave in order to turn around our failing marriages/relationships can be found in God's Word! God wants you and I to be happy! He wants you and I to succeed; however, to do that, one of those ways for success to occur is through delighting ourselves in His Word!

Now that it's understood that our delight should reside in the Word of God, the writer provides a time frame for when we should delight and concentrate on God's Word. The text is concluded by saying, "and on his law he meditates day and night". As you delight yourself in the Word of God, take time to reflect upon it and think about how the Word could/should be applied to your life. I often find myself, after writing certain devotional messages, reflecting upon what God was saying to me and how that Word could help me. As I meditated and reflected upon His Word, He would give me the Word for someone else down the line or give me the Word I need to fend off the enemy! Brothers and sisters, do not take God's Word lightly or for granted! God has spent so much time, developing you, molding you, and setting you up for His purpose, and if you just give Him a little bit of His time that He gave to you, in order to meditate on His Word! If you take a moment to meditate on His Word, during the day and during the evening, I promise you that your life will be better!

In closing, we find delight in shopping, cooking, playing games, and other things. God wants your delight to reside in His Word. Not only for your delight to reside in His Word, but to meditate on it, day and night, so He can share with you the things you need to make it in this life.

No comments:

Post a Comment