Tuesday, January 12, 2010

“How Should One Give?"

Scripture: "So let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver." -2 Corinthians 9:7, NKJV

During my early 20's, I had some young brothers who I use to teach Sunday School to and mentor. These young brothers were actually blood brothers. One's name was Justin and the other's name was Dustin. From time to time, they would come to my house after church where my mother and I would feed them and we would play games on the then hottest game system to have - the PlayStation. One Sunday after church, the two brothers came to my house and this time, I decided to give them the PlayStation because I had a PS2 and I knew they could use it more than me. As I gave them this gaming system and the games, I saw their eyes light up and appreciation was visible from one ear to another. If truth were told, it is important for us to check the way we give things to God and our fellow brothers and sisters in Christ. As our title has stated, how should one give? Well, today's main scripture will provide clarity and an answer to this question.

Today's devotional is set in the book of 2 Corinthians. This book, along with 1 Corinthians, was written by the Apostle Paul to the church at Corinth. According to scholars, 2 Corinthians reassures the people of Corinth will not have another painful visit but what he has to say is not to cause pain but to reassure them the love he has for them. Within this chapter, Paul addresses one major subject: giving and how one should give.

Paul starts out the text by saying, "so let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity". Ladies and gentlemen, as we go into God's house, there's about a 100% chance that we have already planned in our minds what we are giving during offering time. There are times where we know what we will give to our family and friends for their special days such as Christmas, Mother's Day, and Father's Day. With this being said, it's on you, my brother, and you, my sister, to check yourself in the way you are giving it and how you are giving it. It would be a crying shame to give someone a nice card and then told them "I had a tough time giving you this card because I liked it for myself or someone else". God does not appreciate us bringing our tithes and offering with a frown on our face! Heck, He doesn't appreciate it when you give because you were told to give! What I am asking each of you to do, myself included, is to watch the spirit you give things in because that spirit may linger on and because you may have deflated the blessing God had in store for you.

Closing out this particular scripture, Paul shows us the way we should give in saying, "for God loves a cheerful giver". When you bless God with His tithes and offering, give it to him cheerfully! When you bless others with a hug or a smile, give it to them cheerfully! When you bless others with a gift, give it to them cheerfully! When you bless others with your time in performing an effort, do it cheerfully! When you do things cheerfully, it reminds me of what Proverbs 17:22 say about happiness. It says, "A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones." As you give things to people in a cheerful spirit, it has a way of making them happy and allows them to know the trueness of your heart. When people and God see that, then He will use them to bless you in the future!

In closing, as God blessed me to give my young brothers Justin and Dustin that PlayStation in a cheerful spirit, we are to give God and His people things in the same manner. Think about it, would you want a gift that someone hated to give you? I wouldn't. Walk in love and give to God's people in love and watch He return His gifts to you in love! Have a great one!

No comments:

Post a Comment