Thursday, October 8, 2009

"What Are You Going to Do With What God Gave You?"

Scripture: "Again, it will be like a man going on a journey, who called his servants and entrusted his property to them. To one he gave five talents of money, to another two talents, and to another one talent, each according to his ability. Then he went on his journey. The man who had received the five talents went at once and put his money to work and gained five more. So also, the one with the two talents gained two more. But the man who had received the one talent went off, dug a hole in the ground and hid his master's money." -Matthew 25:14 - 18, NIV
One of my favorite sports personalities in the world today is Eldrick Woods. The world affectionately knows him as Tiger. Woods is the son of a Black man and a woman of Asian descent. God has given him a talent and it was to play golf. Throughout his childhood, Tiger, through the help of understanding the game from his father, would make appearances on late night shows, putting the ball in the hole, like he was a regular on the PGA Tour. In 1997, after winning three consecutive U.S. Amateur Championships, Tiger turned pro and as it stands, he's about to become the first billionaire athlete. Who would have thought that golf would take him so far? One thing is for certain, Tiger made things happen with what God gave him. In the same light, my brothers and sisters, God has blessed us all with talents and gifts. The question I pose to you on today is what are you going to do with what God gave you? Are you going to sit dormant on your gifts and talents? Are you going to use it to give God glory? What are you going to do? Today's text illustrates what three men did with what God gave them.

Our main scripture for today is found in the Gospel according to Matthew. Throughout the Gospel accounts, we find our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ teaching His disciples and those around Him valuable lessons about life spiritually and here on Earth. Today's scripture falls into one of these lessons. Within this particular chapter, we find Jesus schooling His disciples through the art of storytelling. The stories He told are known as parables. A parable is simply an earthly story with an heavenly meaning. If truth were told, many of us use analogies or stories to get our points across when it comes to ministering to God's people!

The parable begins where Jesus talks about a man who is going on a journey. As this man is going on a journey, he called for his servants and left them in charge of his property. The text continues on to show us that the man gave one servant five talents, another servant two talents, and the other servant one talent, according to their ability. One thing about God is that He knows what you and I can handle! Within this story, the talent given to each of these servants was money. According to my research, a talent in those days is worth over $1M in U.S. money today. If truth were told, God even today, is trusting us with His money, not your money, but HIS money! He's trusting you to make wise decisions! He's trusting you that you will provide for His house! He's trusting that you will bring Him His 10%! He wants to know what are you going to do with what He gave you financially!

The text proceeds to let us know that the man went on his journey and then, we find out what each of these servants did with their talents. The servant with five talents made five more talents. In other words, he doubled his money! Many of us can attest to being like this servant because many of us have been given multiple gifts and talents from God and He has allowed us to multiply and do bigger and better things! God is showing you, my brother and my sister, if you place your gifts at His feet, then God can multiply! God can further help you to take care of your house and home! Also, the text shows us that the man with two talents gained two more talents. Again, God needs you to step out on faith and make the gifts/talents He gave you work!

Lastly, we find the servant who received one talent, went out and buried it. Does that sound like you or I on today? If I was to hold up a mirror in front of each of your faces, could you be honest and say that you are using everything God has given you? If your answer is yes, then I am blessed to hear it! But if the answer is no, then it's my duty to let you know that the riches and wealth you desire is in your hands! The greatness that God has for you is in your mind! The things God has for you is right at your fingertips! Again, He poses the question, "What are you going to do with what I gave you?" If you use what He has given you, your financial troubles will be minimal. If you use what He has given you, your physical ailments will be minimal. If you use what He has given you, your emotional troubles will be minimal. All He wants is for you, my brother and my sister, to make your talents and gifts work for His Glory!

In closing, Tiger Woods could not have become a billionaire without making golf work for him. Many of us could not have become what we are in God on today if we did not make some of our gifts work. In order to reach the greater greatness God has for your life, we must surrender those talents and gifts to God, obtain clarity on how to use these gifts, and make good use of them that we may not lack and be the lender and not the borrower! I encourage you, to pull all the tools out of your tool belt, and begin to work the work God has placed in your hands!

2 comments:

  1. WOW!Truly this word has blessed my spirit on this morning my love. It just confirms for me that my gifts have made room for me in this Consulting business the Father has allowed me to birth. Although this business does require me to travel, which means being away from you my love, I am blessed to know that God honors my efforts because I'm doing something with the gifts and talents He has blessed me with. Sweetheart, you just continue to allow God to use you to share His word with the men and women of God and I have no doubt that He will reward you for dilligence. Again, thank you for being selfless enough to always give of your gift of ministering God's word to us.
    Your Wife,
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again this post blessed me. It made me realize that Im on God's path and using my talents as well as doing something I like. I feel like he would not have opened a door for me to return to nursing school after I made a detour and got a degree in something that I thought was a quick fix. Iam so blessed and thankful that he allowing me to take care of people. I really feel that is gift I dont look at it as a job I look at it as something God has given me a gift to do because everyone is not called to be a caregiver.Thanks again for the Word.

    ReplyDelete