Wednesday, October 21, 2009

"It's All About You"

Scripture: "I desire to do your will, O my God; your law is within my heart.”-Psalms 40:8, NIV

Through my five years of marriage, one of the greatest lessons I have learned is that life does not revolve around me. Outside of God, life revolves around my wife and family. God told us as husbands to love our wives as Christ loves the church. Each and every day, I strive to give her that kind of love. One instance that occurred recently was on a Saturday evening. We had been in our home maybe two or three weeks and after relaxing from a long week and fairly busy Saturday morning and afternoon, she asked me to get some more paint because we were painting, along with a certain type of curtain that only Wal-Mart carried. With that being said, I went off to Wal-Mart. Three Wal-Mart's later, I had the curtains and the paint. I tell this story because I could have stayed relaxed, but because I loved her so much, I went out and did these things. Because of that, she knows that I strive to make life "all about her". For my family that does not know her, she does the same in turn for me! She keeps a smile on my face and serves as great encouragement. As we have dedicated our lives to one another in marriage, we also have made life about God. Ladies and gentlemen, it's imperative to make your lives about God! If you have this in mind, then you will agree with today's main scripture.

Our Hump Day devotional takes us to the book of Psalms. The book of Psalms have been divided into five books where Chapters 1 - 41 is Book I, Chapters 42 - 72 is Book II, Chapters 73 - 89 is Book III, Chapters 90 - 106 is Book IV, and Chapters 107 - 150 is Book V. Today's psalm, written by King David, falls in Book I. According to scholars, David has his name assigned to 73 chapters. Within this psalm, David addresses his confidence for deliverance, Christ's work of redemption, and prays for mercy and grace. Within our main scripture, found in this psalm, we will understand David's thoughts when it came to making his life about God.

We understand this trend of thought from David immediately. He begins the text by saying, "I desire to do your will, O my God". Each and every morning, in order to let God know that it's all about Him, we ought to get up with this message on our lips: ___________ (place your name) desire to do your will, O my God. When we commit ourselves to making this statement, you can believe that you will be tested and honestly, we all have been tested. Have you had a day where you spent most of your day ministering to someone and you had other plans? It may not have been your will, but it was God's will for that day. Have you ever had to bless someone with something (food, money, etc.) and you had NO idea that they were coming? Here again, it's not your will, but God's will at that time and juncture. When we make up our minds or keep our minds fixed on making life all about God, then we can proclaim that we want to do His will and not ours!

David finishes this thought in an awesome way. When you have made life about the Almighty God, you will do this: "your law is within my heart". David allowed God to further understand that not only do I want to make my life about you in the things I do, but I also house the Word on the inside of me. Brothers and sisters, with the Word housed inside of you, it will make you draw back from cussing someone out. It will make you "take a look in the mirror" and see if you are living the life you are preaching/teaching. It will "slice and dice" you when you are in the wrong. When life is about God, you have to know His Word! David told us in the Bible that "thy Word have I hid in my heart that I may not sin against Thee". Brothers and sisters, that's the point of the Word … it exposes to us the things we need to do! It gives us the instructions for life! If you are serious about making your life all about God, get in His Word!

In closing, we let the world know that life is about our spouses, family, and friends. If we were to really do self - evaluation, are we placing the same energy into God like we are our families? If the answer to that is no, then I encourage you to get in His Word and His face that you may be equipped and striving to do His will in your everyday life!

No comments:

Post a Comment