Monday, August 23, 2010

“God Said He Would Be With Me!”

Scripture: “…lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.” –Matthew 28:20

On the 4th Sundays at The Sanctuary at Kingdom Square, we have a choir named after the pastor before our current pastor that sings. This choir is known as the Colston Memorial Voices. One thing you know about these saints of the Almighty God is that when they sing, the Holy Ghost falls on the church like clockwork! One of the songs that ushers in the presence of the Lord is one sung by an anointed brother by the name of Victor Butler. Victor sings the song, “God Said He Would Be with Me!” As I hear this song, I am often reminded of God’s love and greatness towards me. The song goes on to say that through the storm, through the rain, through sickness and pain, that God would be with me! I feel that there’s someone who’s reading this needs to know that God will be with you! He will be with you through the storms! He will be with you through the rain! He will be with you through sickness! He will be with you through pain! Just in case you do not want to believe the testimony of myself and this song, it’s backed up by Jesus Himself.

Today’s message comes from Matthew’s account of the Gospel. This scripture is special in the sense that Jesus has defeated the enemy by rising up three days after dying on Calvary’s cross. As He was about to return to Heaven, Jesus provided the disciples, along with you and I, some instructions. These instructions are known as the Great Commission. This scripture is found in Matthew 28:19-20. To provide a synopsis of the Great Commission, He tells us to go and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, and to have these converts observe (obey/respect) the things He taught them as disciples. The Great Commission is simple in nature in reference to the things it has stated, but for us in this world, it seems hard in execution. Why does it seem so hard? Because of our “busy schedules”. Because of lack of dedication to our Father and His work. Because we have a willing spirit, but a tired body! Because we’re afraid to do true ministry and talk to people. Let’s be real for one second: Suppose that Jesus never came on this Earth, where would you be and where would I be? As we continue to deal with life’s struggles and executing the Great Commission, He leaves us with some comforting words to close out the Commission, as well as Matthew’s account of the Gospel.

He says the following statement: “lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.” That ought to make you clap your hands, give Him a shout, or something! In other words, God through His Son Jesus Christ, just told me that He would be with me! He just told me that He would be with me even when I run the other way! The text tells me that He would be with me when friends act right foolish in my life! The text tells me that He would be with me when family does not understand my pain! The text tells me that He would be with me even when money is funny and change is strange! He said that He would be with me through the deaths of loved ones! He said that He would be with me through divorces and break-ups! He said that He would be with ME! Wherever you are sitting at on this morning, you ought to tell the Lord THANK YOU for being with dirty, old, sinful me! We don’t deserve these new mercies everyday mentioned in Lamentations, but He is with us and He grants those to us! We are not worthy of the blessings He has in store for us, but nevertheless, He says that we are and that He would be with us! He tells us that He is with us until the end of the world. Until then, know that God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Ghost, is there with you! If you appreciate that good news, give God a praise wherever you are!

In closing, I love to hear this song because it reminds me of my life and the things I have endured. More importantly, it reassures me of the fact that God is with me! With that reassurance, I can do as the elderly saints use to say and “run on and see what the end is going to be”. I hope this message and this scripture will infuse within each of you to continue to execute the Great Commission, and more importantly, live life knowing that God will be with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment